How often should you deep clean your house?
Most people will give a five out of ten rating to how clean they believe their home is, but not me lol (kidding). However, some people may disagree, but that is unsurprising. We keep our houses clean daily by doing the bare minimum chores, such as washing our plates, making our beds, and sometimes vacuuming our floors. This is quite good, but not enough.
How often do you pull up your couches, carpets, cabinets and drawers to clean or wipe the dishes you reserve for special occasions? Most people are too busy that they neglect deep cleaning their houses. Some will even claim to do so every couple of years. Is this right, though? If you didn’t answer that or have wondered how often you should try deep cleaning your house, then you’re in the right place.
The short answer is this! It is advisable to deep clean your house at least twice yearly. Deep cleaning entails the removal of both visible dirt and all bacteria and germs. So, even houses that do not look dirty will still contain bacteria and germs that need to be deep cleaned, especially the bathrooms.
Living in a clean and bacteria-free house has a significant impact on your physical and mental health. Therefore deep cleaning of your house should not be taken lightly. You want to continue reading to get some awesome deep cleaning tips.
What does it mean to do deep house cleaning?
Some people clean their houses daily while others do it weekly. All of them aimed at giving the house a clean and tidy look. A tidy house is good, but a bacteria-free… and germ-free… house is best for physical and mental well-being. This is where deep house cleaning comes in.
To deep clean, a house means to get rid of both visible and invisible dirt found in every area of the house, especially the hidden corners that are usually out of reach during our daily or weekly cleanups.
Although many people tend to neglect deep cleaning, tasks it is very much needed.
How often should you deep clean your house?
You should do a good deep cleaning of your house at least twice yearly, not just spring cleaning.
Typically, the number of deep cleans needed per year may vary depending on the size of the household and the age group and sex of the members of the household.
- Houses with babies should be deep clean monthly. Babies are very fragile as their immune systems have not yet been properly developed. As such, constantly exposing the baby to dirt, bacteria, or germs will be quite detrimental.
- In the case of teenagers, especially males, it is a general notion that they are quite disorganized and less hygienic than females. It is best to deep clean their rooms and bathrooms more often. This will help you spend less on their health.
- A responsible and independent adult living by themselves will probably need to deep clean their house twice yearly, spring cleaning and one other season. This is because the deep house cleaning will most likely entail getting rid of invisible dirt, given that the basic cleaning is taken care of daily or weekly.
How do you deep clean your house?
Houses differ in size. Logically, it’s easier to do a deep house cleaning in smaller homes if kept in good physical condition. The bigger a house is the more time, energy, and money you will need to do a deep house cleaning, you may even have to sign up for home cleaning services. The same goes for an unkempt house, irrespective of the size.
Generally, deep house cleaning is a very demanding cleaning task that may require more than a day based on the size and physical state of the house. Consequently, it is best to write out a deep cleaning checklist before venturing.
Here is a deep cleaning checklist:
- For big houses, you can deep clean the living room on the first day, do the rooms on the second, do the toilets and laundry room on the third, and then end with the kitchen on the fourth day.
- For smaller homes, you can do the living room and rooms on day one, the toilets and laundry room on day two, and then the kitchen on day three.
- Nonetheless, you can distribute the work and do a deep house cleaning in a single day if you have enough workforce.
But if you intend to do the deep cleaning by yourself, the first thing to do is draw out a deep cleaning checklist and get the materials needed to execute it.
What do you need to deep clean your house?
Generally, you will need the cleaning supplies
- Dish soap
- Dish towels
- Rubber gloves
- Disinfectant spray
- Disposable rags and scrub pads
- Spray bottle with vinegar and water
- Paper towels
- Vacuum cleaner
- Floor: vacuum, bucket, rags, mop, warm water with detergent.
- Kitchen: All-purpose cleaner, over cleaner, stainless steel cleaner for stainless steel appliances, scrubbing sponges, Microfiber cloth, warm soapy water, dishwashing soap, baking soda, white vinegar, lemons.
- Bathroom: Toilet brush, grout and tile cleaner, a small brush with firm bristles, an all-purpose cleaner, and a new shower curtain.
- Bedrooms: Glass cleaner to clean windows, Lint roller, Extendable duster, vacuum.
- Living Rooms: Duster for light fixtures and clean ceiling fans, Vacuum and dust furniture.
There are some key points to take note of while deep cleaning the house.
- For floors, it is best to vacuum, sweep, and dry mop before cleaning with water and a disinfectant to remove all minute dirt particles and any germs and bacteria.
- It is good to disinfect your garbage disposal with lemon.
- Use baking soda and white vinegar to clean stainless steel.
- Use mild detergents with warm water to clean granite, marble, or quartz.
- Clean all hard surfaces and countertops with all-purpose cleaners.
- Disinfect all equipment using a disinfectant or white vinegar.
- Do a self-cleaning cycle of your dishwasher and washing machine.
- Do one room at a time to prevent dust from traveling back and forth.
Why do people neglect deep cleaning their houses?
Most people face this difficulty. Everyone wants their home to look neat. Cleaning an entire home is a challenge. Whenever we think of cleaning, the first problem we usually face is where to start from or can I do this all by myself.
As a result, we usually end up hiring cleaning services. Some people that can not afford such services procrastinate till they realize that it’s been years since they last deep cleaned their house.
Another challenge is the lack of time. This is quite common, especially in developed countries where they are always busy working day in and day out.
How can you make deep cleaning easier?
Everything you do needs proper preparation. Drawing out a step-by-step plan will make deep cleaning easy and less overwhelming. Even if you intend to hire professional deep cleaning service, you still need to draw out a plan.
Another way to make deep cleaning easier is by developing a cleaning schedule for your house from daily or weekly . This will reduce your deep cleaning workload.
Check out this refreshing deep cleaning video:
Everyone wants a neat home. However, making and keeping it neat requires you to put in physical work and money. Cleaning is challenging, especially for adults with busy schedules. As such, most homes carry out regular but not deep cleaning.
Deep cleaning simply means ridding your house of dirt, germs, and bacteria. This can not be accomplished by regular cleaning. So, it is best to deep clean your house at least twice yearly or more if the need arises.
Thanks for reading to the end!