Winter is slowly creeping in, leading to colder temperatures and the need for us to cuddle and have some heating elements installed in our homes. The best gas heaters make all of this possible and should allow you to heat up your home and every room much quicker than your normal thermostat that will only regulate the temperature to a degree.
The 5 Best Selling Gas Heaters:
For your convenience, the below list shows the 5 best selling gas heaters on Amazon.com. The list is automatically updated once a day.
- 30,000 BTU Natural Gas heater to heat spaces up to 750 square feet
- Blue flame burner for even convection heat. Maximum Elevation (Ft)-4500. Fuel Consumption/Burn Rate (Gal/Hr)- .030 MCF
- Automatic low oxygen shut-off system (ODS). CSA Certified
- Durable, powder-coated bronze finish
- Heat output of 46,000 BTU's
- Piezo ignition
- 30,000 BTU Natural Gas heater to heat spaces up to 750 sqaure feet.
- Radiant heat burner. Use-Supplemental heat in cold rooms, Additions, Sun rooms, Cabins
- Automatic low oxygen shut-off system (ODS). CSA Certified
- Natural Gas Ready (Fuel conversion not permitted)
- Blue Flame Technology works by convecting heat to warm the air the same way as a central heating system
- Up to 20,000 BTU's/hr heats up to 700 sq. ft.Separately sold optional base legs (WBL100) allows for stable floor mounting
- 4,000- to 9,000-BTU radiant heater for spaces up to 225 square feet. Approved for indoor/outdoor use; clean-burning; nearly 100-percent efficient
- When operating the heater at altitudes over 7,000 FT above sea level the heater may shut off.
- Auto shut-off if tipped over, if pilot light goes out, or if detects low oxygen levels
Whilst living in some of the coldest parts around the world, I managed to find a few excellent heaters for every situation. These heaters can and will heat up your room without too much effort, with some of them even heating up the entire house. I emphasized focusing on the safety element as well to ensure the heaters will do their job around children or butter-fingered individuals.
In this article, we take a look at some of these heaters that I have tested. Many of them are designed for your pleasure and feature a decent aesthetical appearance to improve the overall look of your home. A small buyer’s guide has been included as well, and this will help you choose the best heaters if none of these appeal to your needs.
The 5 Best Gas Heaters On The Market Today:
Before we bore you with all the technical specs and features, you might be eager to see the top picks we have selected. These heaters stood out from the rest and all of their features are exquisite, ensure adequate heating for you this winter. Here are the top options that you could choose going in the 2019/2020 winter season:
Mr. Heater is one of the leading brands when it comes to the design of heaters and advancing heating technology. The Mr. Heater F232000 MH9BX Buddy Indoor-Safe Portable Heater is the first option on this list and we have selected it for the smaller design that makes it portable to be used outdoors and inside your home.
The heater has a heating space of 225 square feet, making it ideal for smaller rooms and it can reach a maximum temperature of 9,000 BTU’s. According to the manufacturer, it is one of the most clean-burning heaters on the market today. Tests also suggest that it could potentially have a burning efficiency of almost 100%.
While the control knob might occasionally get stuck when you are using it often, the heater still features many safety features that could make a massive difference. These safety features include a tip-over feature that will shut-off the heater once it does fall over. Additionally, you need to keep in mind that propane is used for the heater and it could be a little expensive to refill when used often.
The heater might not be the largest option on the market today, but the features definitely make it stand out. We believe the price is actually affordable and this is a multifunctional heater that can be used when you are traveling as well. Many people have used it for outdoor purposes and for camping in the cold winter months. You should also note that when camping above 7,000 feet in elevation, the heater might turn off.
- A lot of safety features to protect you on all fronts
- Small and portable design
- Massive 9,000 BTU power output
- Reputable brand
- Reasonably priced
- The knobs have had an inclination to jam from time to time
If you are looking for a massive heater that will keep the patio area warm, the Fire Sense Hammer Tone Bronze Patio Heater is one of the best options. The heater uses a massive 20-pound tank which will give you up to 10-hours of use at 46,000 BTU’s in large areas.
While the exact coverage area of the heater is not really known, I have tested it around a 600 square feet patio area and it did heat up quite quickly. It might look a little heavier than usual, but the manufacturer has integrated wheels on the base of the heater and this will definitely help you when it comes to moving it around the patio.
The heater is on the pricier end, but when you look at these features, you will definitely get great value for your money. We believe this heater can also be used for camping around the winter months this season as well. Lastly, you should also keep in mind that numerous colors are actually available for you to choose, making it much easier to find a stylish option that could match your décor.
- Available in multiple colors
- 46,000 BTU power output
- Perfect for outdoor / patio use
- Includes many safety features
- Reasonably priced
- Can be knocked over by strong wind
Designed for the avid outdoor enthusiast, the Olympian Wave 3 LP Portable Gas Catalytic Heater is really small. However, it does have a larger 8,000 BTU model that can be used for larger areas and for your living room areas. Made from solid stainless steel, it has excellent durability and should not cause you any troubles in terms of damage sustained when manhandled.
One of the best aspects of this heater is the fact that it can be wall mounted with ease. It is not really heavy and the wave technology means the heating will be distributed evenly around your home. This technology also means the heater will not really use up too much gas and you can potentially save a couple of bucks in the long run.
On the downside, this heater does not really cover large rooms. Even when you select the largest model, you might need to buy 2 of them to sufficiently warm up your home. However, the heater is completely silent and basically operates in the background without you having to deal with the frustration of explaining the noise to your guests.
While this is an excellent heater, it is one of the most expensive options we have tested so far. The heater does have a few great features that should justify the price. It is one of the most durable options on the market today and we would not only recommend it for your home, but it can also be used for your camping trips. I also like the fuel-ignition discharge safety feature that will give you peace of mind.
- Excellent durability
- Can be wall mounted and carried around
- Low-burning rate
- Great for smaller rooms
- Might be a little expensive
The Dyna-Glo Black HeatAround 360 Propane Heater is one of the top portable heaters on the market today. The heater is rather simple and easy to move, with a small 1-pound propane tank. According to the manufacturer, it is the only portable recreational heater that provides 360-degree warmth when used.
One of the things I like about this heater is using it around the camp fire. Since it can heap up a decent-sized area, it will work wonder for your winter camping trips. Rated at between 7,000 and 10,000 BTU’s, the heater should give everyone the perfect temperature whilst enjoying a night outside, or even on the patio if needed.
This unit has been CSA certified, making it an excellent option when you need safety features. Overall, I believe it is really affordable compared to many of the elite features, making it an excellent option for beginners. Since it is rather new on the market, many people might be a little skeptical, but when used for smaller areas, we do believe this heater is one of the very best.
- Small and portable
- Uses the 1-pound or 20-pound propane tanks
- Heats up an are of 250- sq. feet
- Up to 10,000 BTU’s
Last but certainly not least, we have the Mr. Heater F274830 MH18BRV Big Buddy Heater. This heater is made by one of the most reputable brands and as we already mentioned, Mr. Heater is known for outdoor heaters. What I like about this heater is the fact that the design might be small, but the heater itself definitely packs a massive punch.
With the ability to cover a 300 square feet area, the heater offers you numerous different settings. You can choose to change to the power output to be up to 18,000 BTU’s. This is more than enough when you are sick and tired of the cold winter months. With some of the best safety levels, this heater does not only have the tip-over features but can also detect low oxygen levels before shutting down.
One of my biggest concerns is when using this heater in a small room. It does dry out the air quite significantly and while you won’t die from a lack of oxygen, nothing is more frustrating than waking up when your body feels dried out. However, this can be countered with the addition of a small water bowl that will be dried out instead, but we also don’t recommend running it all night when sleeping.
Mr. Heater is a reputable brand, but their prices are generally some of the most affordable on the market. The Mr. Heater F274830 MH18BRV Big Buddy Heater is once again really affordable and all the features are great for all situations. We would definitely recommend the heater for indoor and outdoor use on your camping trips.
- Extremely versatile
- Some of the best safety features
- Really affordable
- Covers a decent are
- Can be a little harsh on your body and dries out the air a lot
Key Features To Consider When Buying The Best Gas Heater:
Now that you have seen the top 5 options we have selected, you might also be wondering how we actually managed to select them. Fortunately, we have included all the features that we used as part of the selection process to help you find the best heater when you are looking for something else. If you are looking for a new heater, keep these features in mind:
When selecting a gas heater, you generally need to choose between the natural gas heater and the propane heater. While both of them are effective, there are a few differences that you also need to keep in mind. Here is a small breakdown of each that should help you when choosing which one you need:
- Propane: Propane is more like a liquid gas form and this can be found in massive 20-pound tanks. Since they don’t need you to install anything prior, these gas tanks can be portable, but they are a little expensive to refill. It is worth noting that all the heaters on this list are propane heaters.
- Natural Gas: The natural gas heaters are a little cheaper in the long run. However, you need to install a supply to your heater when you just buy them. This installation process can be a little expensive for most people. It also takes away the ability to move the heater around as you please, leading to some frustration.
Chances are that you would like to have the maximum possible heat output for your home. This will enable you to heat up the rooms thoroughly and retains some of the heat as well. Rooms under 500 square feet will be fine with a power output of around 10,000 BTU’s (British Thermal Units). However, you might need to hat up some of the larger rooms and even garages. For this, you should look to find something in the range of around 30,000 BTU’s.
It is also worth noting that the higher the power output is the more propane you will be expending from your tank. Here is an educational video on how gas heaters work:
When choosing your heater, there are three methods of heating that you need to choose from. Each of these heating methods will have a different effect. Here is a small breakdown of the different heating methods of these heaters.
- Radiant Heater: The radiant heater is one of the cheapest options and it generally heats up the area in front of the heater. These are great for heating up smaller areas and people in front of the heater.
- Convector: The convector is a little more advanced and it generally makes heater effective for larger rooms. By using the wind to move the heat around the room, the heater does remain really effective.
- Radiant Convector: The radiant convector is generally an electric heater and it combines the best of the radiant heater and the convector. We would recommend these heaters for large rooms.
When it comes to portability, the heater can be used for camping and for indoor use. Having a portable heater is great for camping purposes and we generally recommend looking at the overall weight of the heater before making your decision as well. I always choose the portable heaters for the value they offer.
Having numerous safety features are fundamentally important. The auto-shut-off feature is great when integrated for the tipping of the heater. However, some of the top brands also have an oxygen detector included. This will help to ensure you are protected when you accidentally fall asleep with the heater still on.
All of these heaters have been expertly tested and we believe they do offer some great value for the money. The heaters are state of the art and we would certainly recommend them all for your indoor and outdoor needs. Mr. Heater is probably the best brand to consider when looking at the top brands and offer great value for your money.
We would like to thank you for reading this article and encourage you to share some of your thoughts on these heaters. Let us know in the comment section which of them you would love to have and if we might have missed any of your favorite options.