If you own a home then you’ll need a vacuum cleaner. One of the most favorite types of vacuum cleaner is an upright vacuum, which is affordable, easy to use, and easy to store.
If you are in a hurry our top pick for the best upright vacuum for under $200 is the Hoover UH72625 WindTunnel 3 Max and the simple reason for this is you get a lot of features, it is well priced and you will be able to clean pretty much anywhere with this awesome vacuum.
The 5 Best Selling Upright Vacuums:
For your convenience, the below list shows the 5 best selling upright vacuums available for sale on Amazon.com. The list is automatically updated once a day.
- Buy Bissell, save pets; Bissell donates up to 10 dollars to the Bissell pet foundation for every pet...
- Powerful pet hair pick up with triple action brush roll + scatter free technology
- Swivel steering to easily maneuver around furniture and other obstacles
- Powerful vacuum cleaner: The dynamic motor and brushroll can lift stubborn and heavy debris. Plus,...
- 10 pounds lightweight upright vacuum: The EurekaPowerSpeed is pretty lightweight and easy to...
- 5 height adjustment: It works well on carpets, shag rug, hard floors etc. Smooth wheels ensures...
- Self-cleaning brushroll for powerful pet hair pickup with no hair wrap.
- Use as an upright vacuum for powerful floor and carpet cleaning. Or for more portability, detach the...
- Anti-Allergen Complete Seal Technology and a HEPA filter traps over 99.9% of dust and allergens...
- Lift away press a button to lift the canister away and easily clean hard to reach areas
- Anti-allergen complete seal technology, a HEPA filter traps 999 percent of dust and allergens inside...
- Swivel steering excellent control for maneuvering around furniture dust cup capacity: 12 dry quarts
- Shark's original full-sized Powered Lift-Away. The pod detaches to deep-clean hard-to-reach areas...
- Anti-Allergen Complete Seal Technology and a HEPA filter trap over 99.9% of dust and allergens...
- Large capacity with full-size performance for a whole-home clean
- The 5 Best Selling Upright Vacuums:
- The 5 Best Upright Vacuums Under $200:
- 1. Hoover UH72625 WindTunnel 3 Max Upright Vacuum
- 2. Dirt Devil Dynamite Bagless Upright Vacuum Cleaner
- 3. Hoover FloorMate SpinScrub Wet – Dry Upright Vacuum
- 4. Shark Navigator Lift Away Upright Vacuum Cleaner
- 5. The Hoover WindTunnel T-Series Rewind Upright Vacuum
- Selection criteria for vacuums under $200
The 5 Best Upright Vacuums Under $200:
To help you save time we’ve listed and reviewed five of the best upright vacuums currently available for sale online:
- Powerful motor.
- It’s a Hoover.
- Carbon HEPA filter.
- Three suction channels.
- Several extra nozzles included.
Overall we consider the Hoover UH72625 WindTunnel 3 Max Upright Vacuum to be the best value for the
money upright vacuum under $200 currently on the market.
It’s a bagless upright vacuum with 3 channels for suction including and an extra-wide nozzle. It has a carbon HEPA filter, which is great for sucking up pet hair, odor, and dust. It has an on/off brush roll so switching from floor to carpet is pretty straightforward. As a bonus, it includes a pet turbo tool, pivoting dusting tool, and crevice tool.
- Dynapower – 26.0 Cleaning Effectiveness
- Lightweight – weighs less than 8 lbs.
- Cleans carpets and bare floors
- Easy to empty dirt container
- HEPA filtration
The Dirt Devil Dynamite Bagless cleaner’s best perk is that it is super light, cost-effective and if you are not looking for a heavy duty cleaning solution this could be for you.
As mentioned above it is very lightweight and weighs less than 9lbs and is small as well. You can pick it up and take it anywhere with ease and due to the size, it is super easy to store anywhere.
That said, the Dirt Devil Dynamite Bagless Upright Vacuum Cleaner gives you quite a lot of power for such a small vacuum cleaner. It gives you a revolving brush for the carpets and a Scatter Guard Nozzle that will trap debris and automatic height adjustment is perfect for any carpet or hard floor.
As well as that it is packed with plenty of onboard tools and comes with a stretch hose as well. The accessories you get include an extension ward and dusting brush as well as a Crevice tool.
This is not the best vacuum cleaner out there in terms of power but if you are looking for a lightweight cleaning solution that is super easy to operate and has decent power then this is the one for you.
You can easily use the Dirt Devil Dynamite Bagless Upright Vacuum Cleaner for cleaning the house and it will take you half the time of a larger vacuum. If you just have a small room that needs cleaning from time to time and you want to a small, compact vacuum that really does a good job then you need to check out the Dirt Devil Dynamite Bagless Upright Vacuum Cleaner.
- 3-in-1 bagless cleaner vacuums wash and dries hard floors
- Patented counter-rotating SpinScrub brushes gently wash and scrub from all angles
- Long quick-release power cord lets you clean large rooms without unplugging
- Includes 30 hard-surface wipes and detergent
- Measures 15.2? x 12.2? x 31? weighs 16 pounds and is backed by a 1-year limited warranty
- The main pros of this vacuum are that it will wash, scrub, buff and rinse as well as dry your floors. All you need to do is turn the dial and select between Dry, Wash or vacuum and it makes for an excellent 3 in 1 cleaner.
Hoover FloorMate SpinScrub Wet/Dry vacuum is our 3rd best upright vacuum we are taking a look at the Hoover FloorMate SpinScrub Wet/Dry Vacuum and this vacuum is really good if you want to go a step further and be able to shampoo your carpets with a wet clean as well as vacuum them.
Obviously, if you are looking for the best vacuum overall we would say stick with the Hoover Windtunnel as it will give you the best suction.
However, if you are looking for a more versatile vacuum this one is well worth looking at.
Another interesting thing about the Hoover FloorMate SpinScrub Wet/Dry Vacuum is that it incorporates dual tank technology that makes sure the water that is dirty stays separate so your floors are never cleaned with dirty water.
It also has multi-purpose spin scrub technology and that will give you rotating brushes that will wash and scrub the floors.
Despite it being a 3 in 1 vacuum it is super easy to store and the handle will fold up to save room. The brushes are super easy to clean and you can remove them, wash them and they dry very quickly.
Although it is not as good as our top pick in terms of cleaning power if you are looking for a more versatile vacuum then you need to check this out as it will give you an awesome 3 in 1 vacuum!
- Never loses suction Technology for consistent suction power
- Professional dust-away bare floor tool, with washable, microfiber pads
- Anti-Allergen Complete Seal Technology(TM) traps 99.99% of dust inside the vacuum not back into the air you breathe
- Swivel steering and smooth-gliding wheels promise easy maneuvering around furniture
- Includes: Professional dust-away bare floor tool washable, microfiber pads, Super-stretch hose, crevice tool, pet hair power brush
- This vacuum gives you excellent suction!
Shark Navigator Lift-Away Vacuum cleaner is our 5th best upright vacuum cleaner and this is quite a special one. We are moving on to the Shark Navigator Lift-Away Vacuum Cleaner and the first thing to tell you is that this is a decent vacuum cleaner.
Don’t be fooled by thinking it is not very good because it is so far down on our list. Obviously, we stick by our top pick but if you are looking for something a bit different but also that makes a great vacuum cleaner this will be the one for you.
You get a special technology that allows this vacuum cleaner to keep up the same level of suction for the entire time you are using it. Which means once you start cleaning you don’t have to worry about it getting clogged or the filter breaking.
One of the reasons that you will want to give the Shark Navigator Lift-Away Vacuum Cleaner a close look is the tools you get with it!
You get professional dust-away bare floor tools and you also get washable, microfiber pads as well.
There is something called the Anti-allergen seal technology with this vacuum that claims to trap 99% of the dust inside the vacuum and that means it does not go back into the air you breathe.
The Shark Navigator Lift-Away Vacuum Cleaner is an outstanding vacuum cleaner that is perfect if you need a light weight vacuum with a lot of tools that will allow you to clean pretty much anywhere. We recommend using this on hard floors but you can also use on carpets as well.
Note: This vacuum isn’t always under $200, but normally is when on special.
- Lightweight upright vacuum cleaner with WindTunnel Technology for consistent suction
- Five position height adjustment; 13-1/2-inch-wide nozzle; no-scuff bumper
27-foot retractable power cord; rinse-clean filter and permanent HEPA filter
Includes extension wand, crevice tool, upholstery/dusting brush, and powered hand tool
- Measures approximately 12 by 16 by 44 inches; 2-year limited warranty
You have two technologies at work that will life the dirt and the first is the multi-cyclonic cleaning core that will never lose suction and the second is the cleaning head of the vacuum.
The second reason is the price. When you compare the Hoover WindTunnel T-Series Rewind Upright Vacuum to a Dyson Hoover there is a huge difference in the price.
This vacuum gives you an awesome way to wrap the cord using a pedal at the bottom of the hoover so you don’t have to break your back winding the cord up manually.
You also get reach and turbo tools with an 8” stretch hose and the WindTunnel Rewind Plus you will be sure to get anywhere with this hoover. The Hoover also has a two-year warranty as well.
The filter of this hoover is also very good as you will get a high-quality HEPA filter and the hose is super easy to extend when you cleaning the stairs as well.
If you need to adjust for the carpet size you can clean laminate floors to very thick rugs with the Hoover WindTunnel T-Series Rewind Upright Vacuum. You also have upholstery and dusting brush that will help you get the furniture really clean.
Selection criteria for vacuums under $200
There are several different styles of vacuums, which include stick, canister and upright. Our focus for this article is upright vacuums, which have unlimited power, are easy to maneuver and have enough suction power for most vacuum jobs.
Vacuuming is by its nature noisy business, but an upright vacuum is generally not as loud as a larger canister vacuum. Look for an upright vacuum with good motor insulation and a quality muffler, this will normally lead to a less noisy upright vacuum.
Cleaning effectiveness is hard to determine from the product specifications provided by the manufacturer. A higher wattage might mean a more powerful engine and suction power, but this does not necessarily translate to cleaning efficiently. Have a look at customer reviews to get a real sense of the cleaning power of each upright vacuum.
Type of filter (Washable vs Replaceable)
Most upright vacuums will have a replaceable or washable filter. A replaceable filter is more convenient, but more pricey. A washable filter takes a bit more work but is generally more cost effective. It’s a bonus if the upright vacuum combines its filter with a HEPA filter, but that isn’t always an option.
Bin (Bagged vs Bagless)
You will find upright vacuums with bagless bins and bagged bins. We prefer a bagged bin as it keeps all the dirt and dust in one place and is generally easier to clean. They can however become too full and affect the motor of the upright vacuum so remember to clean it regularly.
Power Supply (Cord vs Cordless)
We have no preference when it comes to a corded upright vacuum vs a cordless battery powered upright vacuum. Cordless is a bit more convenient as you don’t have to drag the cord along, but a cordless can run out of power in under 30 minutes with some upright vacuums, which mean you will have to recharge the batteries for larger areas.
As you don’t have to actually carry the upright vacuum around weight isn’t normally an issue, but fortunately the majority of upright vacuums are relatively light weight. Something like a battery, in a cordless upright vacuum, will however increase the weight significantly.
We’re focus on upright vacuums under $200, in this article, which we consider is a great price limit for most quality upright vacuums.
This article was last updated on September 14, 2020 .
House and Tech is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site we may earn an affiliate commission. Learn More.