We put together this post to help you choose the very best air purifier for your specific home or business needs. We know all too well what difference a quality air purifier can make in the lives of asthmatics, allergy sufferers, people with weakened immune systems, children, and even pets.
The 5 Best Selling Portable Air Purifiers:
For your convenience, the below list shows the 5 best selling portable air purifiers on Amazon.com. The list is automatically updated once a day. Scroll further down for our comprehensive portable air purifier reviews.
- 3 IN 1 AIR PURIFIER FOR HOME True HEPA air filter reduces up to 99.97percentage of harmful germs, dust, pollen, pet dander, mold spores, and other allergens as small as .3 microns from the air
- KILLS GERMS UV C light helps kill airborne viruses such as influenza, staph, rhinovirus, and works with Titanium Dioxide to reduce volatile organic compounds
- TRAPS ALLERGENS Pre filter traps dust, pet hair, and other large particles while extending the life of the HEPA filter
- Higher Purify Performance: Use the Core 300 to fill your environment with crisp, clean air. Its Vortexair Technology creates a stronger air flow, CADR number is 230+m3/h, allowing it to cover up to...
- Improved Filtration: With larger expansion area and longer length than others, the HEPA filter works with ultra-fine Pre-filter and activated carbon filter, trapping 99. 97% of fine particles as small...
- Most Silent Air Cleaner: The noise level is nearly voiceless at sleep mode with only 24db, its QuietKEAP Technology reduces noise so you can sleep in a restful and soothing indoor environment
- Note: Official Levoit Replacement Filters will be in stock on 25th. April, 2020.( Search for: lvh132rf. )
- Designed in California. The UVC Light and Anion that other Brands adopt to purify air could produce a kind of air pollutant-Ozone, which is especially harmful for the children and Asthma sufferers....
- Advanced 3-Stage Filtration System: The Pre-Filter, True HEPA Filter, and High-Efficiency Activated Carbon Filter capture allergens, pet hair, dander, smoke, mold, odor and large dust particles, in...
- True HEPA filter captures 99.97% of airborne pollutants; dust mites, pet dander, pollen and other allergens as small as 0.3 microns
- Washable AOC Carbon Filter, made from activated carbon granulars for removal of household odors. Decibels 27.8 dB
- PlasmaWave acts as a permanent filter to safely break down odor, allergens, chemical vapors and other pollutants with no harmful ozone
- TRUE HEPA AIR PURIFIER - Traps 99.97% of pollen, dust, allergens, pet dander, and other airborne irritants. This air purifier traps particles as small as 0.3 microns and larger, helping to fill your...
- POWERFUL 3-STAGE FILTRATION - Includes ultra-fine pre-filter, True HEPA filter and activated carbon filter for odor reduction. Air filter run time is approximately 4320 hours (~180 days). IMPORTANT:...
- SMART AIR QUALITY MONITOR - Features a built-in air quality sensor that measures and displays air quality level (blue, green, orange or red) and adjusts the fan speed (low, medium or high) in...
Air is our most vital resource for life on earth. While we may be able to live for several weeks without food, and several days without water, we wouldn’t last more than several minutes without clean air.
Because of this, we know how important it is to monitor and prioritize the air quality in our most intimate environments. We make sure our food is well cooked and clean so it has no diseases; our water is filtered and re-filtered to make sure it has no debris; and likewise, our air should be as clean as it possibly can be inside of our homes.
While one day we think quality air purifiers will be built into homes more readily than they are today, for now, we have to turn to portable versions for our air quality needs.
The 5 Best Portable Air Purifiers:
Below we have listed and reviewed the 5 best portable air purifiers currently available for sale online.
The best air purifier we tested, although also the most expensive.
We have read reviews of this filter being used in a variety of “heavy-duty” circumstances; from a home with multiple pets to factories, smoke lounges, veterinary clinics, and even nurseries.
While the Honeywell HA170E1 True HEPA does not have the highest HEPA rating, (it is a HEPA13, the highest is HEPA17, and filters as high as HEPA14 are cleared for use in hospitals) it works about as well as any HEPA filter on the commercial market.
- Exceptional cleaning quality
- High-speed options for rapid air circulation
- Heavy-duty carbon filter as well as HEPA
- Long filter duration, 6+ months
- Easy instructions and set-up
- Filter change light indicator
- It’s expensive
- Can be a bit bulky, heavy
- Noisy on higher levels
One of the best deals available, this remains one of our favorite air purifiers for both office and home needs.
This little device packs four different filters into one machine:
- The first is a thick, black, carbon filter that traps large particles and makes the HEPA’s job much easier.
- The second is the certified HEPA filter, which does the majority of the work decontaminating the air of extremely small particles.
- The third filter is another active carbon filter that absorbs smoke and odors.
- The fourth and final wall of protection is a grey photocatalyst filter, which blocks the spreading of harmful gases such as ammonia or carbon monoxide.
- We’ve heard nothing but good reviews about this device, and recommend it as an excellent starting point for an apartment or small family.
- Certified HEPA filter
- Excellent air purification quality for the money
- Ultra-low and silent “Sleep Mode”, for use at night
- LCD screen for easy access and information display
- Auto shutoff and timer feature
- Remote control activated
- No Built-in ionizer to complete filtration/ionizer combo
- Instructions did not seem to be written by someone who knew English (!?!)
The Filtrete line of products is a great solution for houses that need more than one of a size air filter. There are multiple sizes available in the Filtrete family of air purifiers: nursery size, up to 8m; small room, up to 10m; average room, up to 14; and large room up to 34m.
We have had good results with a small-sized Filtrete, as it was able to clean most of the smoke that was in the room at the time. While it does not have that highest grade HEPA filter like some of our other purifiers, it still functions and is a good deal for the price.
- Multiple variations for any room size
- Cheaper than a certified HEPA
- Clean, smooth, sleek design
- Easy removal of filters
- Air filtration rated
- Not a certified grade HEPA filter
- Frequent filter change (approximately every 3 months, more if there are pets)
Unique on our list because this machine is not exactly an air filter per se, but an ionizer. Ionizers differ from most air purifiers in that they do not have a traditional carbon filter or fan. Ionizers work by changing the chemical structure of the particles in the air and in turn attracting them to the nearest hard surface, instead of continually circulating them through the air.
The stainless steel dust collector plates work quite well for this job and are as easy to clean as a dinner plate under running water. Although the plates will collect most of the particles that the ionizers attract, you may still have a bit of dust collecting in the area around your ionizers, such as on the table and walls. Simply dust the area regularly when you change the filter and this shouldn’t be a problem.
Make sure this device is not left on the floor around animals or small children because, like almost all ionizers, this product emits a harmful gas known as “ozone” that can be deadly in concentrated amounts.
- High-quality ionizer with 17 high density, stainless steel needles
- Consistent charge and cleaning rate among different household areas
- Cheaper than many other larger ionizers on the market
- Extremely easy to clean
- Produces Ozone, a chemical gas that is not safe for children
- Does not filter a high volume of air
- No built-in fan or traditional filter
The Bionaire takes the shape of the popular “tower” filtration device and claims to come with a built-in ionizer, although we could not verify it.
We’ve had good results with the Bionaire, and have seen the device being used in multiple commercial restaurants where there is active smoking.
Though the product claims to have a HEPA filter, a closer look at the website and wording indicates that it actually does not. The filter is a company made one, a “Permatech” filter, which is not as effective as an actual HEPA filter.
That being said, the air filter still works well and provides noticeably better air quality than a room without it.
- An automatic sensor detects air quality, can change filtration level accordingly
- The large design captures a higher volume of air
- Permanent filter, no replacements
- Stylish design
- Does not circulate air particularly well, relies on the natural air intake
- Permanent filter, messy, time-consuming cleaning, decreased air filtration over time
- Can be quite noisy, even on low
That just about wraps it up for our 5 favorite air filters that are available in the US.
We wish you ALL the best in finding the perfect air quality solution for you and your family, and remember if you find something you like or even don’t like then please do come back and let us and other readers know by commenting on this website!
You might also be interested in our best portable air conditioner article.