Keeping a home cool during the summer months can be challenging, especially if the air and cooling system in the home does not work properly. This is one of the major reasons why homeowners should make sure that they have the best systems in place. Therefore, in order to make sure the air functions properly and circulates in the places that’s needed, it is essential for homeowners and their family members to find the best air conditioners in the industry.
In some situations, the type of air conditioner can make a major difference if the homeowner has a need to move the unit around from one area of the home to another. Therefore, they may want to consider buying a portable air conditioner. Portable air conditioners are normally preferred when a homeowner needs the added convenience of cooling a room without all of the complexity and expense of installation.
The 5 Best Selling Portable Air Conditioners:
- 10,000 BTU portable air conditioner cools areas up to 350 sq. ft.
- No bucket, no-drip design uses auto-evaporation system
- Dehumidification up to 70 pints per 24 hours.Full function remote control
- 12,000 BTU portable air conditioner with no-bucket design cools areas up to 450 sq. ft.
- Dehumidification up to 79.2 pints per day
- Digital LED display, precise feater-touch controls and full-function remote control
- Use it in smaller indoor spaces, such as bedrooms, classrooms, and garages or workshops
- Window kit and exhaust hoses included digital LCD display with feather touch controls and full-function remote control
- Included remote control puts the Full set of controls at your fingertips
- Three operational modes: air conditioner, fan or dehumidifier
- Full thermostatic control (61°F - 89°F) with digital readout, 24 hour programmable timer
- Remote control, carbon air filter, washable pre-filter, and product manual packaged inside exhaust hose
- Uses much less electricity than an Air Conditioner to cool a room
- Cooler, Humidifier, and Fan all in one
- 60-degree oscillation for full room ventilation
The 5 Best Portable Air Conditioners:
To that end, here’s some information about the top 5 portable air conditioners, and the reasons why they are considered to be good buys for owners who want the best and most affordable units online and in retail stores today.
The Whyner 14,000 BTU provides cool, clean air anywhere people need it. Manufacturers have designed this unit with a sleek, black-and-gray portable design that is effective in pulling in the warm air from the room and then converting it into fresh and cool air. Even though it is small in size, it is a powerful unit that gives the consumer an auto drain function feature for controlling the 4 operational modes and its condensation.
To remove the water from the unit, it has been designed with a simple to install dual hose systems that creates that ventilation that’s needed. This unit is compact so it can fit into small spaces. Also, with an ecofriendly design, people can also expect to save money. This is because this unit has been built tiwht environmentally friendly ARC-14S that keeps energy consumption to its minimum.
Price: $515.65 (14% off MRSP)
- Cools Rooms with Clean, Fresh Air
- Easy to Transport from Room to another
- Auto Drain Function Removes Condensation
- Dual Hose Exhaust for Optimal Airflow and Efficiency
- Three Operational Modes Include Fan and Dehumidifier
- Ease of Une Non-Permanent Venting Kit
- Simple Control Panel and Convenient Remote
- Washable Pre-Filter and Activated Carbon Filter
- Auto-Restart and Safety Features
- During power outages
- Intelligent Auto Restart
- Energy Efficiency Ratio
- Self-Evaporative System
- Ozone-Depleting Refrigerant
- Flaw in the design (exit holes RIGHT NEXT TO EACH OTHER).
- Some have complained about the noise.
The Honeywell MN10CESWW has been designed with a sleek dehumidifying and cooling system that covers up to 350 square feet. Better known in the industry for sporting 3-in-1 technology that provides optimum cooling and dehumidification. This unit also features fan-only functionality since it provides diversity that consumers are normally looking for. Also, with a remote control function, users can operate this portable air conditioner from across the room. Dissimilar to a fixed air conditioning system, no permanent installation is required.
To provide an easy to move mobile design, it has four caster wheels that makes it simple for anyone to maneuver. In addition to an easy mobile air conditioning unit, it’s made with an auto-evaporation system that provides the family with hours of continuous operation without anyone having to drain the water or empty any buckets.
So, the Honeywell MN10CESWW model comes with everything that one would need including a window installation kit that is easy to use and a flexible exhaust. Further, when the unit’s window vent is not being used, it can be removed.
Price: $398.00 (11% off MRSP)
- Easiness of assembling so it’s up and running in approximately 10 minutes.
- Cools more than one room at a time when a floor fan is used to circulate the cool air
- Functions as a Dehumidifier
- Saves money pm the electric bill
- Stops running before warranty expires
- Drips water out from under the unit so carpeting is filled with moisture even though the manufacturer claims no buckets needed for continuous operations
The LG Electronics LP0814WNR 115-volt Portable Air Conditioner with Remote Control, 8000 BTU is an air conditioning unit that is built for room to room comfort. Because it has been designed with portability in mine, it can also be moved from one house to another. It has a wide diversity of features including a remote control for those who are always moving around and on the go.
So, if you are looking for a unit that has sleek contemporary design, this portable air conditioning can be just the one that you need. You can also take advantage of its free standing feature that blends into any decor. Homeowners and renters alike will also appreciate its auto evaporation system that provides continuous use, and an 24 hour programmable on/off timer. For those of you who want to move it around from one place to another, the manufacturers have added easy to roll caster wheel that’s made to move easily across most surfaces.
Price: $270.00 (20% of MRSP)
- Terrific fit for those who are looking small efficiency (approx. 250 square feet)
- Cools down small apartments quickly
- Sounds managed by settings
- Fits into any room’s deocr
- Programmable feature on and off
- Easy roll cater wheels added for mobility
- Water tank must be emptied regularly because it cannot drip on the outside
- Extra parts and work required if owner wants to install in a window
- Tube gets hot too quickly and then radiating heats into the house so its not energy efficient
The SPT 8,000BTU Single Hose Portable AC has been designed with a restart function that stores all of the user’s settings. The storage is essential in situations where there a power outage in the home or office. Therefore, once the power comes back on, the user does not have to enter previous function again since it will automatically restores them. One of its best features is it has been made to consume less energy than others units in the same or similar class.
This unit also comes equipped with an auto-drain system. With its design, the exhaust will automatically condensate. However, based on the setting, it may also require human intervention. To fill the portable air conditioning unit to keep the air flowing freshly and freely, home owners and renters should use non ozone-depleting R410A refrigerant. This type of refrigerant is required because it is made of RoHS compliant components, which means it is free of harmful chemicals. Listed below are the 4 operation modes that users can take advantage of.
- Dehumidifies without cooling or heating the room
- Fan: air circulation
- Automatically select COOL or FAN modes that’s based on the unit’s set temperature and room temperature.
- 8,000BTU Cooling
Price – $292 (17% off MRSP)
- User-Friendly Control Panel and Remote
- Programmable Time that keeps the temp on what an individual wants
- Designed with wheels on the bottom so it is easy to transport.
- Intuitive dashboard for ease of use
- Price is affordable, especially because of all of the features included in its design
- Made to be Sturdy
- Heavy – weighs 60 pounds
- Set temperatures carefully so they want come on prematurely during the night
The EdgeStar Ultra Compact Portable Air Conditioner is made with an Ultra Compact Design that stands just above 2 feet high. Therefore, it has been designed to fit into virtually any space in an office or a home. This size also makes it much easier to store away quickly in the smallest places. Also, for consumers who are concerned about controlling their high energy bills, they can take advantage of the digital thermostat and the 24 hour timer that helps to save on energy costs. With this functionality, the user can set the temperature to only run when the area needs to be cooled off. It is also important to note that this unit is very versatile because it can be used in the winter and summer months. This is because it has been designed to cool off a room in the summer time or to dehumidify it as needed as well during winter months.
Designers have also followed Environmentally Friendly standards like the RoHS. Based on the European Union, electronic products are currently restricted in the amount of harmful toxins that can be used in its operations (i.e. lead and mercury). Even though this unit is considered to be ultra compact with 8,000 BTus, it’s still powerful enough to cool and refresh an entire room. It comes with a 3 year limited warranty that users can take advantage of, especially if something does happen to its functions. Because this unit is proficient in the energy consumption, it only uses up approximately .95 cents in energy a day.
- Energy Saving Programmable Features: – 24 hour timer that controls the cooling and dehumidification of a room.
- Offered with an Easy-to-Use Window Kit that virtually anyone in the home can do.
- Designed with environmentally friendliness in mind since it has a portable air conditioner unit that does not ozone-damaging R410A refrigerant. Instead the refrigerant that is used must be free from a wide variety of harmful substances.
- All in one portable solution that provides the user with remote control, caster, window its and the like .
- Cools two small rooms and makes it comfortable
- Takes only 20 minutes to cool the room to a comfortable temperature
- With the attachments included in the air conditioning packaging, its easy to install in windows.
- Can create negative pressure in the home when it pulls in hot air to generate the cool air for the room that it trying to keep a certain temperature.
- Only cools small spaces so the BTU must be considered before making an investment.
Portable Air Conditioner Frequently Asked Questions
How to Install a Portable Air Conditioner
Here’s a quick video guide explaining how to install your new portable air conditioner. Feel free to leave any questions in the comments below.