Technology is evolving by the minute and high-end quality monitors are no exception to that rule. Even though the hardware capabilities still are not up to par with some of these displays, Asus has come up with displays that are meant for the future.
This Monitor Was Featured On Our 5 Best HDR Monitors Article.
If you are looking for an exclusive and immersive experience and are not shy of spending a pretty penny, then the ASUS ROG SWIFT PG27UQ 144Hz is certainly an option you should consider for your next monitor purchase.
Key Features of the ASUS ROG Swift PG27UQ 4K UHD 144Hz HDR Monitor
|Resolution||3840×2160 UHD 4K|
|Refresh Rate||120/144Hz (overclocked)|
- Way ahead of its time. The display is certainly a gem if you have an understanding of what you are looking for and it will better your daily experience
- 144Hz when overclocked. For a 4k Ultra High Definition monitor, this is considered way above what is “normal”
- IPS display Panel. For such resolution and refresh rate, getting the colors and angles from this type of monitor panels is a high luxury and the price rightfully acknowledges it
- Response time is on point. Despite the panel type and the high resolution, response time is fairly low, making this display a proper option for gamers since it is made by the gaming division of ASUS – Republic of Gamers
- Hardcore gamer design. It is the Lamborghini of gamers. Nothing subtle about this monitor. Intimidating stand, ROG logo in the back with the proper lighting, aggressive look and the price to match it.
Review of the Asus ROG Swift PG27UQ 4K UHD 144Hz HDR monitor
Asus have gone guns blazing with one of their major models on the display market. A 144Hz HDR display with an IPS panel does not only mean that you can game day and night but complete any high-end color task like movie or picture editing on it with perfection and you’d know you had made the right choice with this heavy hitter. With this in mind let us look more in detail of what this premium display has to offer.
The design of the Asus ROG SWIFT PG27UQ is as close to an aggressive sports car, which makes a statement as you can imagine. Rough lines, yet clean, aggressive engraved logo in the back, red and black lights symbolizing your superiority. What else can you ask for? No 27-inch monitor comes close to this over the top, yet appealing design. Intuitive controls on the side of the panel with more than enough connection ports to serve all needs.
What this Asus gaming monitor will not do is disappoint. If you compare it to the other top HDR monitors on the market, it goes way above and beyond expectations. An IPS display panel with quantum dot technology makes sure you are provided with the most vibrant and realistic colors on the RGB gamut and with the brightest whites and deepest blacks, curtesy of the HDR imaging. The panel also provides the best viewing angles out of all 3 types available on the market, so if you are looking to share a movie on this screen with a group of people, don’t mind the small size. Everyone will be able to enjoy it.
The 144Hz refresh rate is another powerful tool, which makes the ASUS ROG Swift PG27UQ a prominent gaming monitor. Although you have to override the monitor through its controls to get to this refresh rate, it delivers a blasting gaming experience with no visual blur and quick transition during fast-paced action.
The response time is also kept more than low enough for an IPS display at 4ms. Even though it is not the fastest, it still provides a smooth and enjoyable feel while gaming with reactions visible as soon as you press a button.
The Asus ROG PG27UQ offers a variety of connections as well as a design, which can hide it all and make it clean and simple. Most of the ports like the headphone jack, the USB 3.0 ports, and the display ports are conveniently hidden, so cable management is not going to be of concern.
Ultra-Low blue light technology is Asus’s solution for long playing hours or working and staring at the display. This feature has 5 different levels of adjusting the strength of the blue waves from the RGB gamma, depending on what you are looking at, to relieve the stress on your eyes during the long hours spent in front of the computer.
The second feature to help your eyes is the flicker-free technology, which minimizes the strain on the eyes from long gaming or working sessions, unlike most monitors, which flicker constantly and our eyes get the aftereffect of it.
An ambient light sensor is there to figure out any light condition changes around you and adjusts the brightness levels accordingly without you having to tinker around with settings.
Through the intuitive menu, you have access to a plethora of gaming-related options to enhance your experience like timers, FPS counters, a digital crosshair, so you can have the one, which best suits you, not confined by the borders of the game being played. Moreover, the display alignment takes the guesswork out of all the multi-display enthusiasts.
If this wasn’t enough, the way this monitor is designed lets you pivot the display, turn the orientation from landscape to portrait, pivot back and forth, left and right, and up and down to provide the best experience.
What We Love About the ASUS ROG SWIFT PG27UQ
- Design is one of the best out there. If you want to feel like driving a Lamborghini, while working, this monitor’s design is certainly able to provide
- Fantastic clean vibrant colors
- IPS panel provides the best viewing angles and colors for not only gaming but also work of the highest quality
- High refresh rate
- Additional bells and whistles specifically for gamers, which some competitors, such as the Dell Ultrasharp U2718Q 4k IPS monitor, does not have
- Cable management is a dream with the practical hidden design
What We Hate About the ASUS ROG SWIFT PG27UQ
- Way ahead of its time when it comes to gaming. We have at least until 2021 to get a graphics card and other hardware to completely experience the beauty of this product for gaming
- The price tag is way above most and by the time you can utilize properly all the features, the price of these monitors would be much less.
- The stand takes quite a bit of space for relatively general size display, so it should be considered when opting for a multi-monitor setup
- You have to override the panel through the menu and use a DP port 1.4 cable in order to get the display to work at 144 Hz, which reduces color sampling and you would have a hard time looking at text instead of a game.
Would I Buy an Asus Gaming Monitor?
I have definitely been a fan of ASUS as a company for a long time and they have been pioneers in many gaming fields one of which is the display department. The ASUS ROG SWIFT PG27UQ is a premium display not everyone can afford and I would be happy if I owned one, for the benefits it provides. This is coming from not only a gaming perspective but also considering all features combined.
Gamers, high-end users, business professionals, will all love this magnificent display and if it is in their budget, they are certain to experience ‘a whole new world’, like one Disney prince used to sing. If you are looking for a 4k HDR budget display, this is not the one for you but there are plenty of other options which are just as good, so make sure to look at all Asus products available and others alike, but most importantly, the ROG SWIFT PG27UQ we just took a glimpse at.